After months of pressure from Donald Trump, the Fed is expected to announce an interest rate cut.

Today’s focus will be on this evening’s interest rate announcement from the FOMC. After months of pressure from Donald Trump, Fed Chair Jerome Powell is expected to announce an interest rate cut of 25 basis points according to the CME Groups Fed Watch tool this is a 76% probability and a 50 basis point cut a 24% probability. If Mr Powell was to surprise the markets and keep rates on hold, cables strong resistance at 1.20 would likely be tested.

US and Chinese officials will be reconvening today in a bid to end yearlong trade talks.

Following unsuccessful visits to Scotland and Wales Boris Johnson’s attention turns to Northern Ireland. Having been booed in both Wales and Scotland, it is hard to see that Mr Johnson will receive a warmer welcome at Stormont later today. Westminster MP’s have recently been accused of trying to wrestle power away from the devolved parliament that has not been functioning since 2017. Boris has been quoted by the BBC as promising to do ‘everything within his power’ to restore the power sharing government. It is certain that Brexit will also be discussed with the Irish backstop remaining one of the key issues with Boris calling it ‘no good, it’s dead’. It is unlikely that this visit will have an immediate impact on the currency markets but with the PM’s slim majority in parliament it is crucial he is able to gain support from the DUP.

Sterling’s decline at the start of this week has been underpinned by an unproductive call between the UK PM and Leo Varadkar that confirmed a chasm has opened up between the two negotiating parties. Mr Johnson is understood to have reaffirmed that the UK “will be leaving the EU on October 31st, no matter what.” It is likely this is a play to regain control in a very high stakes game of poker. Where the EU to offer late concessions in negotiations that Boris is unable to get approved by government a ‘technical extension’ would most likely happen.

Economic Calendar

12:01 AMGfk Consumer Confidence JUL-14-13
02:00 AMNBS Manufacturing PMI JUL49.349.4
06:00 AMConsumer Confidence JUL4138.7
08:00 AMGDP Growth Rate YoY Flash Q22.2%2.4%
08:00 AMGDP Growth Rate QoQ Flash Q20.6%0.7%
10:00 AMGDP Growth Rate QoQ Flash Q20.2%0.4%
11:00 AMGDP Growth Rate QoQ Adv Q20.0%0.1%
12:00 PMGDP Growth Rate YoY Prel Q20.6%1.2%
07:00 PMFed Interest Rate Decision2.25%2.5%
07:30 PMFed Press Conference--

*All rates shown are indicative of interbank rates and should only be used for indication purposes only. It is important to note that foreign exchange rates fluctuate and that rates may vary depending on the amount and the base currency that is purchased or sold. Rates are correct as of 8:00am UK time. CentralFX are not responsible for the rates shown.